Friday, December 08, 2006

MORE ORHAN PAMUK

The text of Pamuk's Nobel lecture is now available at the Nobel prize site.

I liked that as a broad theme, the lecture revolved around the concept of not quite belonging and of trying to escape's one own culture as a result. Very much in tune with what millions of people the world over feel at this moment!



















As for my place in the world – in life, as in literature, my basic feeling was that I was 'not in the centre'. In the centre of the world, there was a life richer and more exciting than our own, and with all of Istanbul, all of Turkey, I was outside it. Today I think that I share this feeling with most people in the world. In the same way, there was a world literature, and its centre, too, was very far away from me. Actually what I had in mind was Western, not world literature, and we Turks were outside it. My father's library was evidence of this. At one end, there were Istanbul's books – our literature, our local world, in all its beloved detail – and at the other end were the books from this other, Western, world, to which our own bore no resemblance, to which our lack of resemblance gave us both pain and hope. To write, to read, was like leaving one world to find consolation in the other world's otherness, the strange and the wondrous. I felt that my father had read novels to escape his life and flee to the West – just as I would do later. Or it seemed to me that books in those days were things we picked up to escape our own culture, which we found so lacking. It wasn't just by reading that we left our Istanbul lives to travel West – it was by writing, too. To fill those notebooks of his, my father had gone to Paris, shut himself up in his room, and then brought his writings back to Turkey. As I gazed at my father's suitcase, it seemed to me that this was what was causing me disquiet. After working in a room for 25 years to survive as a writer in Turkey, it galled me to see my father hide his deep thoughts inside this suitcase, to act as if writing was work that had to be done in secret, far from the eyes of society, the state, the people. Perhaps this was the main reason why I felt angry at my father for not taking literature as seriously as I did.

And later where he alludes to the darkness that almost always accompanies the feelings of being marginal and unbelonging.

But as can be seen from my father's suitcase and the pale colours of our lives in Istanbul, the world did have a centre, and it was far away from us. In my books I have described in some detail how this basic fact evoked a Checkovian sense of provinciality, and how, by another route, it led to my questioning my authenticity. I know from experience that the great majority of people on this earth live with these same feelings, and that many suffer from an even deeper sense of insufficiency, lack of security and sense of degradation, than I do. Yes, the greatest dilemmas facing humanity are still landlessness, homelessness, and hunger ... But today our televisions and newspapers tell us about these fundamental problems more quickly and more simply than literature can ever do. What literature needs most to tell and investigate today are humanity's basic fears: the fear of being left outside, and the fear of counting for nothing, and the feelings of worthlessness that come with such fears; the collective humiliations, vulnerabilities, slights, grievances, sensitivities, and imagined insults, and the nationalist boasts and inflations that are their next of kind ... Whenever I am confronted by such sentiments, and by the irrational, overstated language in which they are usually expressed, I know they touch on a darkness inside me. We have often witnessed peoples, societies and nations outside the Western world – and I can identify with them easily – succumbing to fears that sometimes lead them to commit stupidities, all because of their fears of humiliation and their sensitivities. I also know that in the West – a world with which I can identify with the same ease – nations and peoples taking an excessive pride in their wealth, and in their having brought us the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, and Modernism, have, from time to time, succumbed to a self-satisfaction that is almost as stupid.

Go on read it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money now

1:39 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, cheap ugg boots outlet, louis vuitton handbags, burberry outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin, jordan shoes, nike outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, michael kors outlet online, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet online, michael kors outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, ugg australia, nike air max, christian louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, michael kors handbags, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton outlet, oakley vault, michael kors outlet online sale, kate spade outlet online, burberry outlet online, nike free, ugg boots clearance, oakley sunglasses, red bottom shoes, louis vuitton outlet, chanel handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet online, gucci handbags, ray ban outlet, cheap ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, replica watches

11:28 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

north face pas cher, coach outlet store online, coach purses, ralph lauren uk, true religion outlet, burberry pas cher, north face, hollister uk, longchamp pas cher, coach outlet, mulberry uk, oakley pas cher, nike free, air max, air max pas cher, tn pas cher, kate spade outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, scarpe hogan, nike roshe run, nike free pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, lacoste pas cher, timberland pas cher, nike air max, louboutin, true religion jeans, ray ban uk, nike roshe, converse pas cher, air jordan, ray ban pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, hollister, hermes pas cher, nike air max, nike air force, michael kors uk, michael kors canada, guess pas cher, michael kors, new balance pas cher, coach outlet, longchamp, true religion outlet, true religion, lululemon outlet online, sac vanessa bruno, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet online

11:29 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

north face jackets, hollister clothing store, iphone 6s plus cases, insanity workout, iphone cases, nike air huarache, ghd, north face jackets, valentino shoes, vans outlet, soccer jerseys, birkin bag, wedding dresses, hollister, nike roshe, s6 cases, ralph lauren, abercrombie and fitch, iphone 5s cases, iphone 6 plus cases, oakley, herve leger, louboutin, lululemon outlet, reebok shoes, iphone 6 cases, new balance outlet, iphone 6s cases, jimmy choo shoes, bottega veneta, nike trainers, nfl jerseys, soccer shoes, nike air max, babyliss, timberland boots, mont blanc pens, asics shoes, celine handbags, longchamp, ferragamo shoes, ipad cases, beats headphones, mac cosmetics, baseball bats, p90x workout, instyler ionic styler, giuseppe zanotti, chi flat iron, mcm handbags

11:30 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

hollister canada, wedding dress, barbour, pandora jewelry, gucci, ugg, moncler, converse shoes, thomas sabo uk, montre femme, abercrombie, canada goose outlet, canada goose pas cher, air max, moncler, louis vuitton uk, juicy couture, swarovski jewelry, canada goose outlet, coach outlet, replica watches, supra shoes, louis vuitton pas cher, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet, barbour jackets, moncler, louis vuitton, marc jacobs handbags, moncler outlet, canada goose, ugg soldes, canada goose, canada goose, pandora charms, converse, moncler, canada goose, moncler, vans, pandora uk, sac louis vuitton, swarovski uk, karen millen, ray ban, doke gabbana outlet, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, uggs canada, links of london uk

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home